Sunday, February 24, 2013

Freud and Being Seen

"It is evident that it becomes particularly hard to admit to any proscribed wishful impulse if it has to be revealed in front of the very person to whom the impulse relates." Freud, 1912


I read this quote of Freud today in my studies and it struck as a deep truth in my life.  Freud is defining "impulse" as "desire" here, I believe, and is simply speaking to the difficulty of admitting a desire for another, to that individual's face.  Freud is touching on a deep fear in such a vulnerability here and seems to think that all people experience this.

I wonder where this comes from?  I also know that, for me, this is true.  I would summarize this quote up as one individual truly being "seen" by another.  By seen I mean becoming aware of, knowing, hearing and acknowledging the desires and needs of another person.  This requires that person to be brave enough to admit their desires and needs to another; a process made more difficult of the individual has needs and desires that they specifically want the other to meet.  

I suppose that I would translate Freud's thought, based on my own life experiences, as this:  "That which I desire most (being seen by another), is also my biggest fear."  I can only guess that this is because to truly admit I desire another, to that person, is also a vulnerability that opens up heart-level desires to rejection.  That, at least, has often been my fear, but I also believe what Freud is hitting at has far larger implications.  What those are I don't know, but I did really enjoy this quote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment